NJPW – King Of Pro Wrestling – October 8th, 2018 – Results
As the stars of NJPW return to Japan and the world via njpwworld, they present us with a show entitled “King Of Pro Wrestling.” This show is headlined by a very special match for New Japan, and that is a triple threat match for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship between Champion, Kenny Omega vs Kota Ibushi vs Cody. Also on this show is Hiroshi Tanahashi putting his Title shot at Wrestlekingdom on the line against Switchblade Jay White. This show will also see the finals of a four man, single elimination tournament for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship between KUSHIDA and Marty Scurll.
To read my line-up and Preview of this show, Click Here.
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Championships – Jyushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask vs Kanemaru & El Desperado(c)
- Jyushin Liger and Tiger Mask were attacked during their entrances and Desperado and Kanemaru went after the masks and beat up the legends around ringside. The Champions, Desperado and Kanemaru got lots of heat in this match and the crowd booed them a lot. The Champs first got the heat on Tiger Mask and when Liger finally got a tag the crowd got behind him with loud cheers and chants. Later in the match Tiger Mask hits a big double underhook suplex from the top rope on El Desperado but when the referee started to count, a whiskey bottle slid in the ring, under his hand and Kanemaru gets in the ring and spays Tiger Mask in the face with the whiskey and Liger ends up being pushed into the ref when he comes to save Tiger Mask. Liger and Kanemaru brawl at ringside but Kanemura throws Liger into the barrier. In the ring, El Desperado hits Tiger Mask with a low blow and a Pinche Loco for the win. Winners: El Desperado & Kanemaru
Juice Robinson & Toa Henare vs Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe
- This starts off with Juice facing off with Honma and it still difficult for me to watch Honma selling his head and neck after the terrible injury he suffered. Makabe gets in the match but Juice takes it to him in the corner with two hard clotheslines and a Cannon ball, Juice hits a full nelson bomb for a nearfall. Honma tags in as Makabe brawls with Henare on the outside. Henare tags in and hits a huge lariat on Honma for a two count as Honma holds his head. The finish came when Honma hits hit headbutt on Henare and Makabe hits hits King Kong Knee Drop for the win. Winners: Tomoaki Honma & Togi Makabe
Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, Hangman Page & Chase Owens vs Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Taiji Ishimori & Bad Luck Fale
- The Bullet Club OGs come out to the original Bullet Club music, while the Elite come out to the Superkick Party music. Tanga Loa kicked this match off against Chase Owens with some mat wrestling then both tagged out, it didn’t take too much longer for this to break down. after an all out brawl at ringside the BC OGs get the heat on Matt as he is still having back problems, they take his back support off and even rip tha tape off. This was a very fun and fast paced match with the BC OGs taking the win when Tanga Loa picked up Chase Owens for a flapjack and Tama Tonga hits a Gun Stun, like a 3-D. Winners: Tama Tonga, Tanga Loa, Taiji Ishimori and Bad Luck Fale.
Tomohiro Ishii, Will Ospreay & Hirooki Goto vs Iizuka, Taichi & Suzuki Gun
- This match started with a jump start by Suzuki-gun but Chaos showed unity as Ospreay, Ishii and Goto worked well together. Suzuki-gun get the heat on Goto until he makes a comeback, hitting a brainbuster on Suzuki. Goto tags Ishii and these two face off with huge strikes as Kevin Kelly plugs their upcoming match for Revolution Pro Wrestling at the Global Wars show. Ospreay and Taichi are tagged in and Ospreay runs wild on the Never Openweight Champion, until Suzuki-gun get involved. Ishii fights with Suzuki and Iiuka is taken out by Goto as Will Ospreay pins the Never Openweight Champion, Taichi with the Stormbreaker. Winners: Will Ospreay, Tomohiro Ishii & Hirooki Goto.
YOH, SHO, Toru Yano & Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI, SANADA & X/Shingo Takagi
- Before the match, LIJ comes out first and Tetsuya Naito announces that the new member, “X” is Shingo Takagi. Shingo starts the match with YOH and LIJ get the heat on YOH for the first few minutes until YOH gets a tag to Okada. Okada and Naito are in the ring while both teams fight at ringside. After SHO and YOH getting the better of BUSHI briefly, Shingo hits Last Falconry for the win. Winners: Los Ingobernables De Japon, Tetsuya NAito, BUSHI, SANADA and Shingo Takagi.
Zack Sabre Jr vs EVIL
- Chris Jericho attacked EVIL before this match. EVIL was making his entrance with a Throne and people carrying him to the ring but when he started to climb the ring, someone grabbed his legs and started attacking him. It was pretty obvious who it was as the mystery person was wearing the Intercontinental Championship. This match was a no contest which annoyed Zack Sabre Jr who started attacking the ref, Young Lions and a trainer. Naito came down to save EVIL from Zack and Zack pointed out that Naito didn’t come down when Jericho was there. Winner: No Contest
IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship Tournament Final – Marty Scurll vs KUSHIDA
- This starts with a Collar and Elbow tie up and both attempt arm locks but KUSHIDA seems to get the better of Marty early on. Scurll hits a few uppercuts and sends KUSHIDA to ringside, where he hops over the ropes and hits a superkick. Back in the ring, Scurll works over KUSHIDA for a few minutes until KUSHIDA hits a cartwheel dropkick that looked snug. Lots of back and forth with a very fast pace in this match but Marty seems to get the better of KUSHIDA most of the time. These two fight over submission moves, KUSHIDA attempts the armbar and Scurll attempts the Chicken Wing. This was a very good match that KUSHIDA won with a Back To The Future after lots of back and forth. Winner: And New Jr Heavyweight Champion, KUSHIDA.
IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match at Wrestlekingdom on the line – Switchblade Jay White vs Hiroshi Tanahashi
- Jay White rolls out of the ring at the bell. With help from Gedo, Jay White gets the better of The Ace and targets the knee of Tanahashi. When Jay White takes Tanahashi for granted and slaps the back of the head, Tanahashi makes a comeback. Tanahashi hits multiple Dragon Screw Leg Whips, while still selling his leg. After back and forth they trade strikes and reversals for a while but after three Twist And Shouts, Tanahashi seems to have the upper hand but Gedo is still trying to get involved. Tanahashi hits a High Fly Flow to a standing Jay White, then another to Switchblade laid down. When the referee counts, Gedo pulls him out at two. Gedo tries to use knuckle dusters(Brass Knuckles) on Tanahashi but missed. The finish came when Jay White had Tanahashi ready to beat but goes for the Blade runner and Tanahashi rolls Jay up for the win. Winner: Jay White.
*Jay continues to beat down Tanahashi after and Okada runs out to help Tanahashi and the crowd erupts in Okada chants. Just when it looks like it might be over Gedo tried to jump Okada and Okada beats Gedo up until Jado comes out to stop the fighting but The Bullet Club OGs come out. The BC OGs surround the ring and it’s not clear what is happening until Tama Tonga hits a Gun Stun on Okada and they all stomp Okada down. Jay White, Gedo and Jado have joined the Bullet Club OGs. The Bullet Club beat people up on the way out and generally cause mayhem. Tanahashi crawls in to check on Okada after everyone has left.
IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match – Kenny Omega(c) vs Kota Ibushi vs Cody
- The Young Bucks were at ringside for this one as they are friends with all three. All three start a little apprehensive to actually attack each other but when they do, it gets good quickly. There was a huge table spot where Cody tried to hit Cross Rhodes on Kota Ibushi from the apron to the floor but took a knee from Kota and a powerbomb from Kenny through the English announce table. After Cody went through the table, Kenny and Kota trade strikes in the ring with Kenny hitting the snap dragon suplex. Cody knocks Kota off the top rope and hits a Canadian Destroyer on Kenny. Kenny fights back and hits a V-Trigger to the back of Cody. While Cody is sitting on the top rope facing outwards and Kenny powerbombs Kota into him, back to back. While Cody is in the tree of woe, Kota lawn darts Kenny into Cody. Later, Cody pulls out another table and goes to powerbomb Kota from in the ring to the outside, through the table but Ibushi escapes and instead pushes Omega off the ropes and through the table. Kota goes insane and just beats up Kenny and Cody with palm strikes, punches and kicks. After multiple Cross Rhodes on Kenny Omega and Kota throwing kicks to everyone, Kenny Omega hit the One Winged Angel on Kota Ibushi for the finish. Winner: Kenny Omega.
*After the match Kenny cut a promo saying he loves Kota, Cody and his dog, and the young bucks. Hiroshi Tanahashi came out to face off with Kenny but didn’t say much, just spoke about settling this at Wrestlekingdom.
HINT: NJPW charges at the end(last calendar day) of the month, like most Japanese subscription services, so your best time to subscribe is early in the month. NJPW World is ¥999 per month which is less than the WWE Network and about the same price as Netflix.