NJPW – G1 Climax 28 – Day 12 – August 1st, 2018
On night twelve the show is headlined by Kota Ibushi in his home town against Hirooki Goto. Also on this show is the undefeated IWGP Heavyweight champion Kenny Omega vs Zack Sabre Jr.
Bad Luck Fale & Tonga Loa vs Michael Elgin & Shota Umino
- Michael Elgin comes down with a heavily taped up shoulder and apparently a possible torn bicep. Michael Elgin starts against Bad Luck Fale and after a few minutes finally takes down Fale with a shoulder tackle, Elgin is obviously protecting his arm by not clotheslining Fale. Elgin tags Shota and the Tongans get some heat on Shota. When Shota starts to make a come back, the Tongans double team Shota but Elgin comes in, Elgin and Fale brawl to the outside while Tonga Loa beats Shota with a sit down Piledriver. Winners Bad Luck Fale and Tonga Loa.
Hangman Page & Chase Owens vs Togi Makabe & Toa Henare
- Page jumps Makabe while Chase jumps Henare before the bell. Chase and Toa Henare are legal early on as Hangman takes out Togi Makabe at ringside. Page and Chase Owens work over Henare who gets the crowd behind him. The crowd love to see Makabe and pop for the hit tag from Henare to Makabe. Hangman looks really good here with a superkick to Togi Makabe on the apron followed up with a huge boot to the face of Henare and a buckshot lariat for a good nearfall. Hangman then hits Henare with his finisher, the Right Of Passage (reverse tombstone Piledriver) for the win. Winners Hangman Page and Chase Owens.
YOSHI-HASHI & SHO vs Switchblade Jay White & YOH
- This starts off with Jay White laying down for YOSHI-HASHI while saying “it doesn’t matter today, it’s just a tag match” and pointing out “we’re all CHAOS”. YOSHI-HASHI does not want to just pin Jay and leave, that is not his way so he orders Jay up. When YOSHI-HASHI walks away from Jay, Jay pops up and attacks YOSHI-HASHI from behind and says “You made me do this”. Jay tags out quickly to YOH. YOH and SHO face each other afterward. YOH, SHO and YOSHI-HASHI would have a good match with Jay White being overly aggressive, shouting about “You wanted to fight” and even threw SHO into the barrier hard a couple of times. YOSHI-HASHI beat YOH with his butterfly lock submission while Jay was in the face of his own tag partner who got in his face earlier about being aggressive towards SHO. Rocky Romero plays up that CHAOS are in bad shape and need a “team meeting”. Winners YOSHI-HASHI & SHO.
EVIL & BUSHI vs Tanahashi & David Finlay
- EVIL is facing Tanahashi on the next show and it looks like they will start here until EVIL tags out to BUSHI, Finlay also tags in. This wasn’t very long and was mainly LIJ cheating but Finlay got a few nearfalls on EVIL near the end. Finlay goes for a Stunner but EVIL reversed it and into a backslide and Finlay reversed that into one of his own which EVIL rolls out of, Finlay goes for another Stunner but EVIL reversed it into Everything is EVIL for the win. Winners EVIL & BUSHI.
Minoru Suzuki & El Desperado vs Kazuchika Okada & Gedo
- Suzuki attacked Okada while he was on the second rope doing his Rainmaker pose and all four guys brawl to ringside and into the crowd. Suzuki and El Desperado get the heat on Gedo Suzuki and Okada go at it all the way through this as their singles match is on the next show. Suzuki tries to Piledriver Okada but Okada resists. While El Desperado and Gedo are legal, Suzuki and Okada fight in the corner of the ring with Suzuki choking Okada. El Desperado hits his finisher called Pinche Loco, a spinning, sit down pedigree of sorts. Winners Suzuki-gun.
G1 Climax tournament Matches
Tama Tonga W Tonga Loa vs Tomohiro Ishii
- Ishii looks beaten up in this match from previous matches, he still has a black eye from the Ibushi match but will not show weakness. Tonga Loa got involved but Ishii throws Tonga Loa in the ring and chops him up against the ropes, Ishii runs the ropes giving a clothesline to Tonga Loa, sending him outside. The referee gets knocked down during a powerbomb giving Tonga Loa the opportunity to come in and beat up Ishii with a chair. Tonga Loa bends the chair over Ishii’s back and they go for a shatter machine on the chair but Ishii fights out and hits Tama Tonga with the broken chair. Tama reversed a brainbuster on the chair frame into a Tongan twist on the chair frame for a great nearfall. The crowd were really behind Ishii, Bad Luck Fale came to the ring and hit Ishii with a grenade which got tama a two count but when Tama went for a Gun Stun Ishii reversed it into a brainbuster which, on the way down, Tama reversed back into a Gun stun for the win. Winner Tama Tonga.
SANADA vs Juice Robinson
- These two start off some technical wrestling but seem to be even in the
early stages of this match. But then they go to ringside where Juice looks
like he’s going to get the advantage
but SANADA get the Skull End on the
outside and drags Juice through the
crowd. Back in the ring SANADA
works over Juice’s arm and hand. Juice reverses a Skull End into one of his own and goes for a moonsalt like SANADA would but SANADA moves. Lots of back and forth in this match with reversals to almost everything, Juice takes his hand wrap off so he can use the Juice Punch but that’s reversed too. In the end, Juice hits SANADA with the Pulp Friction for the win. Winner Juice Robinson.
Tetsuya Naito vs Toru Yano
- Yano runs to the rung as he seems very impatient, he shouts hurry up as Naito takes a while slowly taking his clothes off. Yano tries to rush Naito into a lockup but Naito keeps avoiding him and Yano hits Naito in the back. Very quickly they end up outside the ring and Yano sends Naito into the barrier hard, chest first. Yano gets the tape but Naito tapes Yano to the barrier and Yano has to break the railing and get in the ring with his arms still taped to the railing. Back outside the ring, Naito hits with his own DVD. Yano takes the buckle padding off but Naito uses it as a Baseball bat and hits Yano for a two count. Yano sends Naito into the exposed corner and got a nearfall on a rollup. Without much build, Naito hits a Destino for the win. Winner Tetsuya Naito.
Kenny Omega vs Zack Sabre Jr
- Taka cuts his normal promo asking the fans who will win this match and who will in the G1 Climax, most fans react to both with “Kenny”. Kenny and Zack start with mat wrestling and Kenny is able is show he can keep up with Zack for a while. Zack goes for Kenny’s leg and injured heel early. Kenny hits a big boot on Zack which sends Zack outside. Kenny lands a springboard Moonsalt from the barrier which looked great but on the way back to the ring Zack took Omega down with a leg submission while grabbing the foot. Back in the ring, Kenny hits a guitaro crusher and goes for the “You Can’t Escape” but Zack slips out and turns it into a sleeper. Kenny hits the “You Can’t Escape” on the second attempt but when Kenny goes for the moonsalt, Zack catches him with a triangle choke submission. Kenny comes off the ropes with a huge DDT which sends ZSJ back outside but Omega shows signs that his leg is in bad shape.coming back into the ring, Kenny goes for a crossbody off the top rope but Zack rolled through. This was reversal after reversal with Zack reversing the One Winged Angel twice and a V-Trigger knee and wrapping up Omega with all kinds of submissions. Kenny hit Zack Sabre Jr with a few V-Triggers and rolls up Zack, Zack kicks out and they go into another pinning combination which Omega pins Zack with to get the three. After the match, Zack protests but it’s too late. Winner IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega.
Kota Ibushi vs Hirooki Goto
- They are in Kagoshima which is Kota Ibushi’s home town and Kota often headlines when they are here. The crowd is chanting Ibushi’s name as the match starts. They exchange headlocks and lockups, they seem to be feeling each other out early on. Ibushi dodges a shoulder block in the corner and pops up with a rana which sends Hirooki Goto to ringside but as Kota goes for a moonsalt, Goto slides in and clotheslines Kota on the apron. These two really take it to each other but both Goto and Ibushi are very tough, they strike each other with forearms and kicks. They fight on the ropes and Kota falls off the second rope and lands on his head but shakes it off. Goto goes for a sunset flip of the top rope but Kota flipped out, landed on his feet and drop kicked Goto. Goto worked over the neck of Ibushi with a long sleeper, clotheslines and big slams to the back of the neck and head. Ibushi looks out when Goto calls for his finish, the GTR but is reversed into a pinning combination which Goto kicked at two. Ibushi makes a comeback with his quick strikes and what looked like a Kinshasa. Ibushi hit a last ride powerbomb for a two count but when Goto kicked out, Ibushi didn’t let up and hit the Kamigoye for the win. Winner Kota Ibushi.
- Hiroshi Tanahashi – 10
- Jay White – 8
- Kazuchika Okada – 8
- EVIL – 8
- Bad Luck Fale – 6
- Michael Elgin – 4
- Togi Makabe – 4
- Hangman Page – 2
- YOSHI-HASHI – 2
- Kenny Omega – 12
- Tetsuya Naito – 10
- Kota Ibushi – 8
- SANADA – 6
- Zack Sabre Jr – 6
- Tomohiro Ishii – 4
- Tama Tonga – 4
- Hirooki Goto – 4
- Juice Robinson – 4
- Toru Yano – 2